If your phone is malfunctioning or requires updates you or your phone system administrator may want to perform one of the following:
Restarting: This will bring the phone back to its last configured state. It is also required sometimes when TeleConsole settings have been updated such as after modifying TeleConsole BLF settings.
Updating configuration: Settings or configuration changes made by Telebroad or your system administrator are applied to the phone when you trigger a configuration update. Depending on the updated settings this may or may not require you to restart your phone.
Updating the software(firmware): Firmware is the software that loads when a device is started and controls its functionality. On Poly phones it is simply referred to as the phone's software. Updating it to a newer version, when one is released, may resolve or improve phone performance issues.
Factory reset: This erases the current configuration and applies the original configuration the phone was shipped with from the factory. You can do this with the admin password or with a key combination method that overrides it.
Restarting Your Phone
Restarting your phone is usually a safe and easy method to resolve functionality issues. However, you may want to consult your phone system administrator first to make sure the issues are not related to network problems or other external causes.
To restart the phone do one of the following:
- Do one of the following:
- Press and hold 0, 1, and 3 simultaneously on the dial pad for a few seconds until you hear a confirmation tone.
- If not on the Home view, press .
Select and navigate to Basic>Restart Phone.
Press Yes when prompted with "Are you sure?".
- The phone restarts and the Home screen loads.
If your phone is frozen and does not respond to the above methods you can restart it simply by unplugging and replugging it (if the phone is powered by POE you would unplug the network cable.) It is still advisable you try to use the above methods whenever possible.
Changes in the system or network of your office may cause problems with the functionality of your phone. To restore compatibility or simply to apply new settings for improved workflow, your system administrator may ask you to update the phone's configuration after he has prepared the relevant configuration file.
When you trigger the configuration update the new configuration file is downloaded from a provisioning server to the phone's flash memory and the update process is completed automatically.
To update the configuration of your phone:
- Select from the Home view.
- Navigate to Basic>Update Configuration.
- You will be prompted to confirm the update.
Select Yes to initiate the configuration update process.
Updating the Software (Firmware)
If your phone has a current Poly firmware it supports an automatic firmware update feature (referred to as software update). If the feature is not supported or if you want to install a particular firmware version you can update the firmware manually from the Web Configuration Utility.
Before upgrading the software manually you should read the related software release notes that you can find by selecting the SOFTWARE RELEASES or SOFTWARE RELEASE ARCHIVES tab under the VVX 401/411 support page. You should also possibly consult with Poly's support to ensure there are no compatibility issues or other potential conflicts. If such issues or conflicts do happen after an update you may need to downgrade to a previous software version or perform a factory reset.
Checking the Current Software Version
You can check the current Software version installed on the phone before deciding if an update is indeed required.
To check the software version do one of the following:
- Access the phone via the Web Configuration Utility as explained here.
The software version is displayed on the Home screen with the format of X.X.X or X.X.X.X.
- From the Home view select the Menu>Status>Platform>Application>Main soft keys.
The software version is shown next to the Version field with the format of X.X.X or X.X.X.X.
Automatic Software Update
When new software is available a notification is displayed on your phone and you have the option to update your software, postpone the software update, or exit the notification.
To update the Phone's Software select Update when prompted to update your software. The phone reboots and the software is updated on the phone.
Postponing an Update
Instead of updating your software immediately, you can choose to postpone the update from 15 minutes up to six hours. To do so select Postpone when prompted to update your software and select one of the time options. The notification is removed from the screen until five minutes before the postponed time you selected.
You can postpone the software update up to three times. After the third time, the notification is displayed without the Postpone option.
If you do not update the phone's software after the postponed time, a notification with a countdown is displayed and the phone automatically reboots and updates the software when the countdown ends.
If you postpone a software update and the time period you chose ends while you're on an active call, a software update notification with a countdown is displayed after the call ends. After the countdown ends, the phone reboots and updates the software.
Exiting the Software Update Notification
When the software update notification is displayed, you also have the option to exit the notification without choosing to update or postpone the software by selecting Exit.
When you exit the notification, a SWUpdate softkey is displayed on the Lines screen. Select it at any time to start the software update.
Manual Software Update
If an automatic update is not available on your phone or if you want to install a particular software version you can perform a manual update.
To manually update the software:
- Access the phone via the Web Configuration Utility as explained here.
- From the Utilities menu select Software Upgrade.
- Select Polycom Hosted Server from the Server Type field.
If another server type is already selected, click Clear Upgrade Server first and then select Polycom Upgrade Server.
- Click Check For Updates.
A confirmation window will inform you that available software versions were successfully fetched.
- Select the software version you want to update to from the Software Available at Polycom Server drop-down menu and click Install.
- Click Yes to approve the installation and then Accept the license agreement.
- The upgrade will be initiated and the phone will reboot when the process is finished.
Factory reset is only recommended after you have tried all other troubleshooting suggestions since it will delete all your personal configuration settings and reset them to the factory defaults.
It is advisable you contact us (if you have an account with us) or your phone system administrator before attempting a factory reset to see if the issues with your phone may be resolved without it and to ensure your phone can be properly provisioned and configured if a reset is indeed required.
You can perform a factory reset from the phone's user interface, the web configuration utility, or with a key combination during the reboot process.
The first two methods are valid only if your phone is functioning properly. If it is not, or if these methods are not available, or if the admin password is not accepted use the key combination method which can override the admin password.
To perform a factory reset from the phone's user interface:
- Press to access the home screen.
- Select and select Advanced.
- When prompted for a passwordEnter the default admin password ("456") or the current valid admin password.
- Select Administration Settings....
- Select Reset to Defaults....
- Select Reset to Factory....
- Answer Yes on the warning prompt screen.
To perform a factory reset from the Web Configuration Utility:
- Access the web configuration utility with admin credentials as explained here.
- From the Utilities menu select Phone Backup & Restore.
- Extend the Global Settings option by clicking the + icon next to it.
- Click Restore and answer Yes to the warning prompt.
To perform a factory reset during a restart (with the option to override the admin password):
- Before proceeding with the factory reset you may need to know the phone's MAC address.
You can find the MAC address by doing one of the following:
- Look for a sticker on the bottom of the phone. It is a 12 digits hexadecimal number that usually starts with 0004F.
- Press to access the home screen.
Select and navigate to Status>Network>Ethernet.
Write down the 12 digits hexadecimal number in the MAC: field.
You can also press 1,4 and 7 simultaneously on the dial pad to access the status screen.
- Access the phone via the web user interface as explained here.
The MAC address appears in the MAC address field on the Home screen.
- Restart the phone as explained above or by unplugging and replugging it (if your phone gets power from the Ethernet cable, using POE, unplug and replug the Ethernet cable.)
- While the phone is powering up select Cancel to stop the rebooting process.
- A countdown will begin. Press and hold the 1, 3, and 5 keys simultaneously on the dial pad before the end of the countdown.
- You can let go of the keys once an admin password prompt appears.
- Enter the default admin password – 456.
- If the default admin password is not accepted you need to enter the MAC Address as explained above, using capital letters! But before doing so you should contact us or your phone system administrator to see if we or he have a record of the current admin password!
Pay attention to the difference between entering digits, capital, or lowercase letters. To switch between letters and digits press the input modifier softkey. It initially appears as 1->Aa, indicating you are entering digits. When entering capital letters it displays as A->a1.
Each numeric key on the dial pad has three letters on it. Press it once to enter the 1st letter, twice (without pausing) for the 2nd letter, and three times for the 3rd.
As you type, pause briefly between each character.
For security, the characters you enter are shown only as asterisk symbols (*).
If you made a mistake you can press the Left Arrow key to delete the last character.
- Press OK.
If you made a mistake you will see the message "Incorrect Password" and you can try again.
Otherwise you will see the message "Configuration Reset" and the reset process will start.
Do not unplug your phone during the reset process and do not press any keys. After the process is finished the admin password will become the default 456.