If your phone malfunctions or requires updates you or your phone system administrator may want to perform one of the following:
Rebooting: This will bring the phone back to the its last configured state. It is also required sometimes when TeleConsole settings have been updated such as after modifying TeleConsole BLF settings.
Updating configuration: Settings or configuration changes made by Telebroad or your system administrator are applied to the phone when you trigger a configuration update. Depending on the updated settings this may or may not require you to restart your phone.
Updating firmware: Firmware is the software that loads when the phone is started and controls its functionality. Updating it to a newer version, when one is released, may resolve or improve phone performance issues.
Factory reset: This erases the current configuration and applies the original configuration the phone was shipped with from the factory. This requires an admin password, but a certain configuration file setting let you bypass this and reset without a password.
Rebooting Your Phone
Rebooting your phone is usually a safe and easy method to resolve functionality issues. However, you may want to consult your phone system administrator first to make sure the issues are not related to network problems or other external causes.
To reboot your phone via the phone user interface:
- Do one of the following:
Navigate to Menu>Settings>Basic Settings>Reboot.
Long press Cancel () on the keypad when the phone is idle.
Access the phone via the web user interface as explained here.
Click on Settings>Upgrade.
- Press or select OK when prompted to confirm that you want to reboot the phone.
Changes in the system or network of your office may cause problems with the functionality of your phone. To restore compatibility or simply to apply new settings for improved workflow, your system administrator may ask you to update the phone's configuration after he has prepared the relevant configuration file.
When you trigger the configuration update the new configuration file is downloaded from a provisioning server to the phone's flash memory and the update process is completed automatically.
To update the configuration of your phone:
- Do one of the following:
- Navigate to Menu>Settings>Basic Settings>Update Configuration.
- Long press (redial) when the phone is idle.
- A "Provision now" message will prompt you to approve the update.
- Press .
Upgrading the Firmware
A firmware file can be downloaded from the Yealink support portal (note that the link is for the compatible T42S model and the file may be for the compatible T46/T48 mode). The file should be stored on a computer or network location that can be accessed by the web interface.
You can check the current firmware version installed on the phone to see if an update is indeed required.
To check the firmware version via phone user interface:
- Press or press Menu>Status.
- Press or to scroll through the list to view phone status information.
The firmware version is the 3rd item.
You may need to provide some of the information listed here, besides the firmware version, to your phone system administrator for additional phone support or maintenance.
To check the firmware version via web user interface:
- Access the phone via the web user interface as explained here.
- The firmware version is the first item found under the Status>Status path on the first page of the web user interface.
To upgrade firmware via web user interface:
- Click on Settings>Upgrade.
- Click Browse to locate the required firmware file on your local system.
- Click Upgrade to upgrade the firmware.
The browser pops up the dialog box “Firmware of the SIP Phone will be updated. It will take 5 minutes to complete. Please don't power off!”.
- Click OK to confirm upgrading.
The interface will show “Firmware updating. Please wait and do not power off! And the browser must not be closed or refreshed!". The phone will reboot once the upgrade is finished.
Factory reset is only recommended after you have tried all other troubleshooting suggestions since it will delete all your personal configuration settings and reset them to the factory defaults.
It is advisable you contact us (if you have an account with us) or your phone system administrator before attempting a factory reset to see if the issues with your phone may be resolved without it and to ensure your phone can be properly provisioned and configured if a reset is indeed required.
To perform a factory reset from the phone:
- Do one of the following:
- Navigate to to Menu>Settings>Advanced Settings>Reset Config.
If prompted for password enter the default password ("admin") or the current phone's admin password.
Select Reset to Factory and press Reset.
- If enabled by your phone system administrator, long press the OK key when the phone is idle for about five seconds. Enter the default password ("admin") or the current phone's admin password.
- You will be prompted to confirm that you want to reset the settings.
- Press OK.
The phone begins resetting.
The LCD screen prompts “Welcome Initializing…Please wait”. The process will take a few minutes. Do not power off until the phone has started up successfully.
If you forgot or don't know the admin password of the phone you can contact us or your phone system administrator to see if we or he have a record of the current admin password.
If there is no record of the password, you can request to have the phone's settings changed so it does not require a password when you long press the OK key (the specific configuration file setting is “features.factory_pwd_enable=0” ). Update your phone's configuration if your administrator asks you to. You should now be able to reset your phone without being prompted for a password. After the reset, the default password ("admin") should work.
To perform factory reset of the phone via the web user interface:
- Access the web user interface as explained here.
- Click Settings>Upgrade.
- Click Reset to Factory Settings in the Reset to Factory field.
- The web user interface prompts “Do you want to reset to factory?”.
- Click OK to confirm.
- The screen prompts “Welcome Initializing…Please wait”.
The phone will be reset to factory successfully after startup.
The process may take a few minutes. Do not power off until the phone starts up successfully.