- Push-to-Talk Usage ---
- PTT Meeting vs Direct Push-to-Talk
- PTT Meeting ---
- Direct Push-to-Talk ---
With Push-to-Talk (PTT) you can use your W56H/W73H/W78H handset like a handheld transceiver (walkie-talkie) for bi-directional communication with other handsets or Yealink DECT headsets registered on the same base station.
For the PTT feature to be available for your handsets, your W70 base station needs to have firmware version 188.8.131.52 (and up) installed. To find out the firmware version and, if needed, upgrade you can refer to this article.
PTT vs Intercom
You can also communicate with other handsets on the same base station using the Intercom feature. The difference between the two features is that PTT communication is voluntary (users have to actively join the PTT meeting or enter the PTT mode) while with intercom a call is answered automatically on the receiving handset(s) without the user having control over it.
PTT Meeting vs Direct Push-to-Talk
There are two ways to use PTT:
- PTT meeting: This is similar to a conference. It is initiated by one user on his handset or DECT headset and the meeting can be joined by the other handsets/headsets on the same base station. Users cannot hear each other until they join. Once they have joined the meeting, they can speak continuously.
- Direct Push-to-Talk: This is more like an open meeting. The PTT communication channel is always available for anyone entering PTT mode on his handset/headset. Once in the PTT mode users will hear any other handset/headset on the channel. To participate in the conversation a user has to actively push a button.
Initiating a PTT Meeting
Initiating a PTT meeting will inform the other handsets registered on the same base station that there is a PTT meeting in progress and allow them to join it.
Note that the prompt notifying users about the PTT meeting can be enabled or disabled by the phone system administrator.
To initiate a PTT meeting:
- Long-press the Mute button () to enter PTT mode.
- Press the Lock soft key to initiate the PTT meeting.
You can also initiate a PTT meeting from a headset by long pressing the Mute and Call control buttons together.
Joining a PTT Meeting
DECT headsets join PTT meetings automatically.
For handsets, joining the PTT meeting depends on the PTT notification prompt:
- If the PTT meeting notification prompt is enabled – when you receive the prompt simply press the Enter soft key to join the meeting.
- If the PTT meeting notification prompt is disabled –
Long-press the Mute button () to enter PTT mode (You will be able to hear the communication of other participants.)
Press the Lock soft key to join the PTT meeting.
When you join a PTT meeting, you will hear the other participants but your handset/headset will be muted automatically. To start talking press the Mute button () to unmute the microphone.
Exiting and Ending PTT Meeting
A Meeting Participant
A meeting participant can only exit a meeting. On a handset, simply press the End soft key or On-hook button (). on a headset to exit the meeting and go back to the idle screen. This will not affect other participants.
On a headset press the Call Control button to exit the meeting and go back to the idle screen.
A Meeting Initiator
The meeting initiator can either exit the meeting or end it:
- To exit a meeting – the initiator needs to press the Unlock soft key. This will take him back to the PTT mode screen; other participants will not exit the meeting. After this, the initiator can talk to the other participants by long pressing the Mute button ().
- To end a meeting – on a handset, the initiator needs to press the End soft key or the On-hook button (). Both initiator and participants will exit the meeting and go back to the idle screen.
If the initiator is using a headset he can press the Call Control button to end the meeting for all participants.
With direct push-to-talk there is no need for a meeting to be initiated. Any user can enter the PTT mode on his handset/headset and participate in the open communication channel on the relevant base station.
Entering PTT Mode and Listening to the Channel
To enter PTT mode on a handset long-press the Mute button (). You can now hear the other users on the channel.
Your phone system administrator can configure the system so all handsets enter PTT mode automatically whenever any other user enters PTT mode manually.
Headsets enter PTT mode automatically whenever there is a push-to-talk activity.
Talking While in PTT Mode
To talk while in PTT mode long-press the Mute button on your handset or headset.